Estimator (Intermediate – Senior)
Responsible for all estimating including review/negotiations of both Head & Sub Contracts. Develops and implements all estimating department standards and procedures.
Key Estimator Responsibilities
- Planning & Scheduling: Establishes priorities and develops and implements a comprehensive schedule ensuring accurate sequencing and resource allocation to meet strategic and pre-determined goals.
- Pricing & Quantity Take Offs: Directs all tender closings with expert knowledge and ability to accurately prepare quantity take offs for all divisions of work and establish relevant pricing for identified quantities. Reviews all estimates prepared by estimating staff for completeness, accuracy and consistency. Possess an in depth knowledge of General Conditions related items and their costs.
- Risk Management: Upon the review of project scope, contracts and coordination of drawings and specifications, proactively analyzes possible risks and identifying gaps. Suggests appropriate recommended solutions.
- Budgeting & Costing: Manages the budgeting process and provides ongoing costing assistance identifying potential cost savings opportunities for Eastern and or the client.
Additional estimator responsibilities:
- The estimator will prepare bid estimates for projects, perform quantity takeoffs, pricing, contract analysis, site visits, and scheduling.
- The estimator will also liaise with consultants, architects and sub-trades as required.
- Coordinate site visits with trades as required.
- Assist in reviewing drawings and specifications and provide feedback concerning costs and practicality.
- Coordinate with on-site Construction Department in the preparation of trade change orders.
- Analyse and recommend Trade contractor change orders in coordination with Project Manager and site personnel.
- Coordinate, organize, direct, control and evaluate the tender process within the construction department, under the direction of a project manager or director
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate Request for Pricing from start to finish according to schedule, specifications and budget.
- Prepare and submit construction project budget estimates at tender stages for review
- Plan and prepare construction schedules and milestones
- Represent company on matters such as tender walkthroughs (where required).
- Prepare Request for Information where required and release to client, architect and/or consultant groups
- Review drawings and tender documents to understand scope of work and submission requirements.
- Organize drawings and tender documents for sub-trade review and downloading (setup FTP file folder)
- Send invitations to sub-trades in a timely manner to allow sufficient time for quote submissions.
- Source out additional sub-trades as required.
- Prepare construction schedules for submission with tender packages.
- Prepare budget costs for various disciplines as required.
- Review and qualify quotes submitted by sub-trades to ensure full coverage of divisional scopes
- Prepare estimate sheet with quotes received and bid amount carried for each task/discipline for presentation at closing of projects
- Complete client bid forms and documents required for submission
- Follow up with clients on bid submissions as required
- Work with assigned Project Manager during tender and upon award of contract for a smooth transition of projects from estimating to construction.
- Other duties within the scope and purpose of the job, as requested by Project Manager